The future of 3viewpvr.info

digitl

The future of 3viewpvr.info

Post by digitl » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:10 pm

As 3viewpvr.info is being so little used now, I can no longer justify the expense of keeping it running. I will, therefore, and with regret, be closing it down at the end of May.
Frank (aka Admin)

ricinus

Re: The future of 3viewpvr.info

Post by ricinus » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks for running this Frank.

Is there anyway to export the contents of the forum for local use so the last of us here can use it as a reference?

digitl

Post by digitl » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:08 pm

ricinus wrote:Thanks for running this Frank.

Is there anyway to export the contents of the forum for local use so the last of us here can use it as a reference?
Not so far as I know... anyone?
Frank (aka Admin)

larkim

Post by larkim » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:49 pm

After such optimism with 3view in the first place, 'tis a sad state of affairs that it is going awol, but it's unfair if you are bearing the financial cost just to keep us lot happy!

Sad to see it go.

On a similar vein, however, I am shortly to be consigning my two 3view boxes to the bin. THe playroom one is stuck in a bootloop, and tbh I can't be bothered to sort it out. And the lounge one is now failing to get any EPG data, so is permanently showing "no information". Again, I'm sure it is resurrectable, but I can't be bothered.

So instead I am getting a "free" (!??) EE TV box - 4 tuners, permanently recording 6 channels for 24 hour catchup, manufacturer support (!), manageable from a tablet / phone, streams to 4 household devices simultaneously etc etc.

Bye bye 3view

:(
2 x 3view PVR, both on CodgeView. Winter Hill region.

digitl

Post by digitl » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:55 pm

larkim wrote:After such optimism with 3view in the first place, 'tis a sad state of affairs that it is going awol, but it's unfair if you are bearing the financial cost just to keep us lot happy!

Sad to see it go.
True, but I've kept it going for as long as I can and cannot justify any more ££. Sorry!
larkim wrote:So instead I am getting a "free" (!??) EE TV box - 4 tuners, permanently recording 6 channels for 24 hour catchup, manufacturer support (!), manageable from a tablet / phone, streams to 4 household devices simultaneously etc etc.
Please enlighten me! How? From where?
Frank (aka Admin)

larkim

Post by larkim » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:15 am

Moving BB provider. Currently with plusnet at £10 per month, plus line rental.

New deal with EE for £10 per month plus line rental (18 month contract) including new EE TV box (only available to EE/T-mobile/Orange customers, and as my son has an old T-Mobile PAYG phone that counts!) So no new costs, free router and free EE TV box.

Not sure about the niceties of ownership of the box, but as a quick fix and a box which seems well thought of, it was a fairly easy decision - https://broadband.ee.co.uk/ee-tv-broadb ... s-packages
2 x 3view PVR, both on CodgeView. Winter Hill region.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:12 pm

No need for this place to die. I'll happily migrate this board to my own hosting if you are happy to transfer the domain name and assist in the migration of the board.

Buzz me a PM or email and we can discuss the logistics. :ugeek:

Funnily enough I booted two of my boxes up again yesterday as I wanted to see what was still working. And pleasantly surprised by a pair of healthy boxes.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

Steve_God

Post by Steve_God » Fri May 22, 2015 5:17 pm

Given the Digital Spy sub-forum (that was at http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=233 ) has been taken down, this is the last remaining place for any 3View box info.

Hope you guys can find a way for the forum to change hands! :)

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Fri May 22, 2015 5:28 pm

The offer is here and open to transfer the domain and forum, I was just waiting for Frank to return to these shores. I look after enough other websites for my clients. And comically I also admin another forum for another dead bit of Brit TV hardware. That one died in 2005 and is still plodding along as a resource.

I am not suggesting to do this for any profit, and wont do anything daft like add adverts. The only plan would be to lift the site as is and transfer it to different hosting.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

digitl

Post by digitl » Sat May 23, 2015 1:54 pm

The board is currently in the process of migration to a new server. Any posts made during that process may well be lost!
Frank (aka Admin)