Codgev2 - status update

Support for hardware and software issues. Ask your question and (hopefully) someone will give you an answer.
MarkRy

Re: Codgev2 - status update

Post by MarkRy »

Thank you. I will have a look.

With restorechannels one can update firmware, patch it and restore channels in no time at all!

They are great boxes so its really appreciated I can keep it running pretty well. Too many partial recordings and crashes but still VG. For those crackling sound recordings you can access the box crackle free and easily using kodi which is lucky too.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout »

Without Old Codge and everyone else's work on these boxes they would all be in landfill by now. Damn good bit of kit, just such a pity the company over-reached and then got slapped by that Thailand flood.

I use Filezilla to also lift recordings off of the box, though this is a little messy as I need to splice the various parts of a video back together that way. It did at least me I got to grab my "2 minutes of fame" when I popped up on TV one boxing day.

I also play back most of my recordings via KODI too. Brilliant media centre that is.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

ricinus

Post by ricinus »

ricinus wrote:
ricinus wrote:My box has a slight problem that appears to be getting worse.

Most mornings the box is ON. ie after the overnight EPG update it is no longer turning off again. It has returned to Normal mode correctly as shown by the message when I turn the box off myself. I say it is getting worse as I think it is gradually happening more often.
aha ! I've worked it out (I think). The box is only OFF at the weekend. I presume the box is no longer turning off as part of the overnight EPG update job but eventually switching off as part of the I've-been-left-on-too-long-so-I'm turning-off function. Since I am up much later at the weekend than in the week this is why I only see it as OFF then.
2 years (!) after first mentioning this I shall return to the subject. My box is now on every morning apart from occasionally when it is stuck in EPG mode. I got a bit suspicious of this and started noting when this happened.

This is the fourth Wednesday in a row that it has been stuck in EPG-mode and I have had to blue-button switch back to normal-mode. Every other day has been fine.

I am away next Wed so will have to remember to switch off the overnight scan.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout »

Senility will get at many devices over the years. This is why a format and reinstall is often the best way to get sanity back. A lot depends on how many videos you want to back up first. And there are many tricks and ways for that now.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY »

My box has started acting up again. In normal mode, it was not doing the overnight epg update so I am leaving it in epg mode, which had been relatively stable up to recently. Now, when I change channels or play back recordings it often reboots before doing what was required. Is it just my box or are others experiencing problems?

ricinus

Post by ricinus »

Hi Beeley

Mine is pretty much the same as it has been for the last couple of years. Mostly works OK, sometimes it is stuck in EPG mode in the morning and occasionally it randomly lock-ups (like this morning as I set a recording).

Have you tried switching back to 'normal' mode for the times you want to watch things?

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY »

Thanks ricinus, looks like my box then. Strange that it does not do the overnight update any more, so in 'normal' mode, the EPG eventually empties. Usually just realise this when you come to record something with an imminent start time!