Boot looping

Support for hardware and software issues. Ask your question and (hopefully) someone will give you an answer.
larkim

Boot looping

Post by larkim »

So finally one of our two boxes has started to play up "properly".

Continually booting via 3view splash screen, to CodgeView splash screen, and then sticking on that until it is rebooted.

Haven't yet got around to re-installing firmware etc, but will be doing that next - last "official" firmware first, and then CodgeView 1 and 2 I believe is the correct order.

I can still telnet into the box during the boot phase, but don't know what has caused this. Fortunately the playroom 3view box doesn't actually get used that much these days.
2 x 3view PVR, both on CodgeView. Winter Hill region.

Stocks

Re: Boot looping

Post by Stocks »

You have my sympathy with this as I am also having trouble with my 'old box' (see Empty EPG thread).

In terms of setting up with the firmware you can skip Codge1 and go straight to Codge2 - I have done this several times with no problems.

If you look at the 'Empty EPG' thread you will see a post from Oldcodge explaining that the boxes have trouble with channels on the COM4 MUX. He suggests manually deleting all channels on COM4 via a channel backup followed by a channel re-store - it may or may not be the cause of your problems.

Regards

Stocks

larkim

Post by larkim »

I've messed around with the muxes before, but actually never run into an issue with Com4. Fortunately as I've got two boxes, copying archived channel lists is simple for me!

I've had a NowTV free subscription for the last 3 months, and that's meant we've watched almost nothing but streamed stuff (mainly West Wing to relive that particularly wonderful series) and Game of Thrones (which I'd heard much about but not seen any of previously).

I'm starting to wonder whether even having a recording HD box in that room (or indeed in the house at all) is really necessary with devices like Chromecast making catchup so straightforward.
2 x 3view PVR, both on CodgeView. Winter Hill region.

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY »

I was having rebooting loops and empty EPG but deleting COM4 Mux solved my problems. The last two days, I have had a new problem. Switching the box on from standby gives no picture or sound and cannot Telnet in because it has lost the network connection as well! Powering off at the wall corrects these problems.

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY »

My box was working up to a few months ago, when I switched it off. I have come to use it again and it is hanging at the second splash screen (EPG mode). Totally unresponsive to controls. Not showing as having an internet address (using Fing on my Android tablet where it always showed as something like 192.168.1.90 whereas everything else is in the range 1 to 15) so cannot Telnet in. I have a second working hard disc which I have now swaped and it works OK (set to Non EPG mode) but still no address showing to Telnet in. It is however connecting to the my home network because I can display pictures from my NAS drive.Anyone suggest how to proceed, short of reinstalling the software again?

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout »

If you say it is connecting to the home network, then it must have an IP Address. If you have swapped the drive I am guessing it has just been allocated a different address. Does a fresh search with fing not pick anything at all new up? What about if you login to your router and check the DHCP table?

I am a little confused at what is and isn't working. Can you see any of the 3View screens on the TV? Have you looked into the System Settings as the IP Is listed in there. It can also be manually set in there.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY »

Thanks for your help. Using the working disc, I have setup the IP address (as 192.168.1.5) which seemed to be blank. This address now works with Telnet. My problem is, if I now change over to the original disc, I can only get as far as the splash screen so cannot set up the IP address to Telnet in and see what is happening. So my original question - have I any options other than to reinstall the software again? Thanks.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout »

When the original disc boots to the splash screen, is it then visible via fing and Telnet? If not, then there is not much I can suggest. If you can't access it, then it becomes difficult to run any kind of disk check on it. Unless we start slaving it to another computer and checking from there... but then we are in a headache of finding a Linux box to do that with. (And I guess you don't have any of them laying around)

Do you have anything on the original disk you need to save? If there is nothing of note, then it is going to be less of a headache to do a fresh reinstall. Before that I would stick it into a caddy and attach to a PC. Then run the Western Digital manufacture test over it to check that the fault isn't with the actual disk itself.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY »

Thanks. The disc is about 90% full so I would like to keep the recordings. When I tried to Telnet in before, I could not see the IP address (it used to be something like 192.168.1.90, way higher than anything else I have) but Fing did not show it. Now I have set up an address on the new disc, it was not accessible as 192.168.1.90 but I then tried 192.168.1.5 and could then Telnet in. I will now go over to the original disc and see if I can recognise it as Sigma Designs. Will try copying codgev2 over again and try that next. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY »

Update. Have now Telnetted into the box and tried loading codgev2. Have to do it via USB stick because the original website does not exist. Have copied codgev2.tar but typing:-
cp mp0/codgev2.tar . gives:-
cp: cannot stat 'mp0/codgev2.tar': No such file or directory

Will try another USB stick tomorrow. Thanks.