Boot looping

Support for hardware and software issues. Ask your question and (hopefully) someone will give you an answer.
Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Re: Boot looping

Post by Barry The Sprout »

I host Codge's updates on this site now.

Have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=140&start=100#p2883

I also suggest a few other ways to try a couple of posts down from there. Note the one about using FileZilla. Get used to that and it is also a quick way to grab the odd recording from the box. Those posts may also help spot why your update last night wasn't working.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY »

Tried loading codgev2 both from USB and your site. with the following results:-
via USB stick
3view /tmp >ls
shows codgev2.tar

3view /tmp >cp mp0/codgev2.tar .
gives
cp: cannot stat 'mp0/codgev2.tar':No such file or directory
3view /tmp >

via your website
after
./install.sh
get a number of lines then
mount: mounting /dev/sda5 on / failed: device or resource busy (error is OK?)
then a number of lines then
Opened /home/guidedata/guide_data.ndb - 200 * 4096 / 128
Opened /home/guidedata/guide_map.ndb - 10 * 1024 / 32
then install just hangs here

Decided to reinstall simply8654t2_trunk etc. Had problems getting into the maintenance menu, it did not work in the usual way but eventually came up on its own accord after a reboot! It installed normally and so I went onto loading Codgev2 from USB. Started OK but then hung before completion. After reboot, seemed to have updated. Reinstalled previous channel list without COM4 channels and all looks OK now. The only possible problem I have is finding out how much of the disc is used, I seem to recall it should show under PVR - 'all programs' but I could be wrong!

Once again, thanks for all your help.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout »

Excellent. A bit of perseverance and you got there. We could have sat around and poked at what was going wrong for you... but just trying again has got you an answer.

I expect your USB drive isn't mounted at /tmp/mp0/ which is why things got confused. If it behaves, then we have nothing to worry about.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

ricinus

Post by ricinus »

BEELEY wrote: The only possible problem I have is finding out how much of the disc is used, I seem to recall it should show under PVR - 'all programs' but I could be wrong!
Good to hear the box is running again Beeley. Disc space is shown under PVR - 'PVR Event Viewer'.

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY »

Ah, Thanks for that info. The little grey cells are less reliable than they used to be!

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY »

My 3view box has not been used for a while because I have a YouView box for recordings and new smart TV which accesses my NAS media. The YouView box has developed problems so I have resurected the 3view box. It just goes into permanent looping in EPG mode (as it has done in the past when powered down for a period). My channel list has been edited to remove the 5* mux so that is not the problem. I have reloaded the latest 3view firmware followed be Codgev2 from USB and now the box either keeps looping or seems to be OK but in fact has become unresponsive to the remote and so does not load more than the EPG for BBC1 & 2 for the next hour or so. I can still Telnet in to reboot it but have spent many hours trying to get it working again without success. This technique has worked several times for me in the past but not this time. The box still works OK in normal mode. Is anyone else still using 3view? If so, are they working as expected or has there been another transmission change to finally kill them off?

ricinus

Post by ricinus »

Sorry to hear about your box Beeley.

Mine is still working as it has done for the last 3 years (*touches large forest of wood*) ie there is the occasional lockup and only one tuner can record but the EPG updates overnight on Codgev2 fine. My channel list is not edited as far as I can remember.

We've just had a reception issue from Sutton Coldfield which was solved by removing the amplifier from the aerial. In all the fiddling around my box discovered Channel 5 HD.

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY »

Thanks, that is good to know. I shall just have to persevere then! Fortunately my replacement YouView box is scheduled for delivery in the next hour so the pressure is off to get the 3view box back on line. We had a power cut for 8 hours last night so I probably would have been back to square one anyway.