There is life in the old girl yet

Support for hardware and software issues. Ask your question and (hopefully) someone will give you an answer.
MarkRy

There is life in the old girl yet

Post by MarkRy »

Hello to all, especially Barry the Sprout.

My 3View box had been gathering dust only with the occasional reboot when I want to watch a recording up in attic. It never seemed worth the effort to remove the files and 450gb was a lot way back in them days. But thanks to the patch and big thank you to BTS it is actually still a damn fine box. Even more so now perhaps.

I am not sure if Windows is more flexible to media standards now but My Computer> Media Server 3View > Videos > Recorded shows> and all the recordings are there and can be copied and pasted to the desktop. This was never the case before or at the start. I then run the file through Avidemux and put in mp4 container and its off to my NAS for Plex library. With the mp4 264 wrapper plex can play with no transcoding. This is not the case with my actual Plex recordings so advantages there and topped and tailed. The recordings on 3view can be played directly using VLC, on PC at least, as before but something has changed for the better.

I generally leave my box in Scan mode and in standby and am lucky it is reliable. Little rebooting or failed recordings.

As I say, there is life in the old girl yet.

Anyone else still using theirs?

IWantPVR

Re: There is life in the old girl yet

Post by IWantPVR »

I still have one in daily use in my lounge, recently upgraded to 1Tb, and it is really reliable. Occasionally I lost the daily scan file so I added in a cron entry to replace it. I have my other two, one in my bedroom and one at my kids house, not really in use, but all hardware working as far as I know.

I did a recent search to see what else was out there for Freeview but couldn't see anything which looked much advanced on the 3view I'm using. Anyone moved onto something else which they would recommend?

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout »

Hi - sorry about the dust in here. :D Help your self to a cuppa. Also remember the rest of the souls involved in the rescue battle - especially OldCodge - wherever he may be now.

Doesn't surprise me that the updates to Windows has made UPnP work better. It was close enough that it shouldn't take much more effort to perfect. Always makes me laugh when I setup a new computer for a client and I get a raft of media devices being auto-discovered in my house. (Reminds me to keep polite names for them :D)

I have to be honest - I don't use my 3View box much now. I've wondered off into other media players. Doing a lot of hacking around with KODI on an old PC attached to the TV, cataloguing my own video and music collection (no, not the shady add-on side). If I needed TV recording I would certainly look into a USB based tuner plugged into a KODI box. But that is because I like messing around with things.

Catch-up TV has replaced most of my need of recording TV shows - iPlayer, 4oD, ITV Player and the other ones. For what little TV that is worth watching, I use those services. If I want to keep a BBC show I'll use get_iPlayer to grab a copy. With a few strolls into the Torrent world and MVPGroup if there is some documentary I want.

I am about to spec an upgraded system for a client and know he is wanting an upgrade to his DVR. In that case I'll almost certainly be heading the Humax route as that is one of the few names I'd still trust. I'll drop in here with what I learn if that is of use to people.

You've got me thinking now... I wonder if I could coax KODI into working on the 3View box? ARGH!! Stop it - I have enough projects going on at the moment at it is. :mrgreen:

@IWantPVR - I still read your username in the style of "I want my MTV" by Dire Straits
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

MarkRy

Post by MarkRy »

Old Codge too. Cheers.

I have BT youview (humax) which is reliable but no lan access etc. I run a plex server on a nas with homerun TV tuner and kodi does it all as you say - but plex for watching recordings away from home if only I can get a holiday! I think I just like the 3view for some reason. I had a netgem before which was advanced too.

My current project is to get every last photo and cine film onto the NAS. The cine should be a weekend job but scanning and touching up photos could be a Herculean task.

Hopefully Old Codge will drop in!

All the best.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Out of the house access is part of my next upgrade. But that means changing my rather odd router setup as I'll need to use a VPN. Can't trust just basic port-mapping to the server.

For now, when I want remote access, I just use TeamViewer. Haven't tried a full video, but was at a friend's house this week playing FLAC audio without any hiccups. The small world we now have with fast broadband. :)

I would expect KODI\PLEX links very well to the UPnP accessible recordings of the 3View. I'm going to have to fire the box up now and see how simple that link is. Should just be another source to add to the media centre.

I also know what you mean by the old Scanning and Organising of photos. Have been working through that myself at different speeds. Got a quality Nikon slide scanner which does a great job and can get slides at an insane resolution. Which just leads to wanting to do even more cleaning up of the images. I soon learnt to get the scanning done as the priority and leave the polishing for another day.

How are you doing the Cine conversion? I have a friend who has some rather historic cine film she wants to convert.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

ricinus

Post by ricinus »

A few months ago I was having terrible reception issues. It was worse when viewing via the 3view so I convinced myself that it was the problem.
I replaced it with a Humax FVP4000 as it seemed the only thing out there. It seemed to clear up the problem but it returned and then cleared up again.

So it wasn't the box to blame. The 3view is propped up at the side of the TV (no room underneath) and I am slowly going through the series recorded on it and watch stuff off my PC.

The Humax is incredibly sluggish and has no direct info button !?!? However I can record three things at once (my 3view would only do one for some reason), there is no glitchy sound on the HD channels and it has a lot of catchup features.

I am pleased to hear that there is a 3view out there still being used properly.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

It is called "3View" because only three people are viewing :twisted:

larkim

Post by larkim »

I think I'm finally about to consign mine to the scrapheap. I've had EE fibre for about 18 months including the TV package, and the DVR / PVR you get with that is excellent - 4 tuners, permanently recording 6 HD channels so that you can skip back up to 24 hours in the EPG and watch anything that was on on those channels, good series linking, decent app support to watch / stream throughout the house etc. So I've just purchased a second box to replace the 3view which was languished in the back room crashing and rebooting on a regular basis. The kids still use it to play films from the NAS or stored locally on the box, but it's time to wave goodbye I think. May give it a few more weeks whilst I work out how I'm going to stream movies to that TV as I've not sorted that out yet - the EE box does support DLNA, but its locked down so that it can't be used unfortunately.

Such as shame the 3view box fell just a little short of what it needed to be able to do. It's one of the few pieces of early adopter hardware I've ever bought, and was great - when it worked!
2 x 3view PVR, both on CodgeView. Winter Hill region.

MarkRy

Post by MarkRy »

Brilliant. All good to hear.

I see there is a uplay plex addon that can populate plex with upnp media files. Could be good.

Needs to know upnp port number. Any ideas pls?

All the best

IWantPVR

Post by IWantPVR »

Since this week I am only getting 3 days of EPG data instead of 7.

Anyone out there still getting 7 or having the same issue?