Freeview retune: 17 October

News and information as it becomes available.
digitl

Freeview retune: 17 October

Post by digitl » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:55 pm

A little advance notice for those who may be struggling with tuning their boxes.

"On Wednesday 17 October Freeview will be making changes to the channel listings for all Freeview TV's, set top boxes and PVR's. This will mean that after lunchtime on this date Freeview viewers should check to see if their equipment has already adopted these changes or if they need to retune their product to affect these changes".

And

"The changes taking place are as follows:-
- HD channels will move to channel numbers 101-120
- Marketplace will move from channel number 61 to channel 50
- The Adult section will start at channel number 171 (currently 91)"
Frank (aka Admin)

ricinus

Re: Freeview retune: 17 October

Post by ricinus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:46 pm

They must have looked at my box. I renumbered all the p0rn channels to around those numbers ages ago.

The last changes (Dave/Yesterday) did not affect the channel numbers I had manually set them to, so hopefully nothing will alter on my box this time either.

"- HD channels will move to channel numbers 101-120"
are they really expecting 20 HD channels at some point ?

Stocks

Post by Stocks » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:07 pm

digitl wrote:
"On Wednesday 17 October Freeview will be making changes to the channel listings for all Freeview TV's, set top boxes and PVR's. "
Did these changes take place? My 3view box still has the HD channels in the 50's and they all work fine (Winterhill transmitter). Do I need to do a manual channel search?

Regards

Neil

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Stocks wrote:
digitl wrote:
"On Wednesday 17 October Freeview will be making changes to the channel listings for all Freeview TV's, set top boxes and PVR's. "
Did these changes take place? My 3view box still has the HD channels in the 50's and they all work fine (Winterhill transmitter). Do I need to do a manual channel search?

Regards

Neil
Yes this renumbering did happen. Have retuned my TV sets and HD channels up on 101 etc, but not touched the 3View box yet as been busy. I assume that has handled it fine otherwise we'd have more posts on here about it.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

samiam

Post by samiam » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:05 pm

I haven't retuned and have the channels in exactly the same (old) place. Why? No idea!

Sam.

Stocks

Post by Stocks » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Finally managed to get the unit to complete a retune after forgetting to take it out of 'normal' mode and put it into 'EPG' mode. Took about half an hour to complete after a few crashes on the way but the unit got there in the end and the HD channels have now moved to the 100 series. I'm not sure what would have happened in the long run if I hadn't bothered as all channels worked fine before I retuned.

Regards

Neil

samiam

Post by samiam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 am

Quick questions. Finally lost my HD Channles "No Signal" after the retune on 17th October. Do I have to rescan in EPG Mode and will it work in keep and scan mode or do I have to rescan from scratch?

Sam.

kewa

Post by kewa » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:21 pm

samiam wrote:Do I have to rescan in EPG Mode and will it work in keep and scan mode or do I have to rescan from scratch?
Sam.
Yes you have to scan in EPG mode but after loads of crashes and failed scans I found it best to delete all channels then scan each mux manually except the HD mux then autoscan and keep to get the HD channels.

Be warned though - I had loads of problems after this including crash and reboot every 10 seconds in Old Codge's EPG mode. I guess that somehow the database got corrupted. In the end I formatted the disk, reinstalled the firmware, scanned for channels as above then adding Old Codge's patch and a cron job to update the EPG. Since then apart from the odd broken recording and lack of YouTube the box is running fine.

Kewa

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:10 pm

When I did a channel rescan I found it got jammed in EPG mode. So had to use Telnet to issue a "reboot" command to un-jam it. Tried two or three times.

Then rebooted into "normal" mode by pushing the yellow (or was it blue?) button (i.e. without Old Codge's fixes). Did a delete and rescan channels from there and it completed fine.

This also picked up the HD channels on the new 100+ numbering scheme. (I find it comical that the new HD channels are right next to the pron now)

This experience is with the Whitehawk Transmitter on the South Coast and a strong signal.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

samiam

Post by samiam » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks. However the problem appears have been the aerial lead as got no signal at all last night. Fiddled with lead and HD Channels are back 50 to 54. How can this be if they have moved? Am I getting the SD Channels there? Shouldn't there be a BBC1 HD logo on the left hand side? I haven't got one. Mind you that's not possible really is it?

Sam.