Freeview retune: 17 October

News and information as it becomes available.
samiam

Re: Freeview retune: 17 October

Post by samiam » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:34 am

Now I have a bigger problem. Having returned to normal mode it is now in a loop. I get to the second old codge (starting in normal mode) screen which stays on very briefly only to crash and start all over again. What now?

Sam.

kewa

Post by kewa » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:46 am

No guarantees but I would restart the box in maintenance mode, reinstall the latest firmware then apply Old Codge's patch and see if that cures it.

Kewa

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:56 am

Sam - you still need to try that retune to bump the HD channels to their new location. BBC1, BBCHD, ITV, C4HD and Argos TV should be on 101-105

Did the SD channels renumber okay? Is Dave now on 12?
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

samiam

Post by samiam » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:51 pm

I am struggling now. I have had to reinstall the firmware and now have no channels. I am trying to rescan but not getting anywhere. Now trying to reinstall the patch but I am having problems with telnet. I get into the screen and put 3view in as the user. It then asks for the password. I hold control down and right click and paste the password and enter and then it says password incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Sam.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Why did you reinstall the firmware? Kewa only did that as he reformatted his box. Something that you would not have needed to do. All you needed was some stubborn patience.

Okay... I'll see if I can get you out of the jam. If you reinstalled the firmware, then you are back to the original very long password. For that, the username was root. (Ah - I think this is where you went wrong)

Once you have logged in as root and installed the Old Codge patch, then your username and password become 3view.
Last edited by Barry The Sprout on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:13 pm

As a PS. When I do a channel retune, there are always problems. I start the retune and walk away and do something else. I don't like watching progress bars as it feels like watching a kettle boil. The more I watch, the slower it goes. Which is why I just leave it to the retune. Sometimes I come back to a tuned box. Othertimes it has jammed.

When I have a tuner jam, I find the remote control unresponsive. I then telnet in to the box and issue a reboot command to safely restart the box. This avoids corruption of files, database, etc. (I also don't have to bend down and scrabble under the TV for the power lead)

As noted above, last time I had retuning problems, I got a successful tune by going into Yellow Button (EPG mode). Maybe more by luck than anything, but as that mode booted up it didn't crash that time. I went into the System menu and did a retune from there. I did a full scan and replace.

I have had a few occasions in the past where I have had to get very stubborn and trying numerous times to get that channel scan to complete. Though I think that was more a memory from before Old Codge's patch.

samiam

Post by samiam » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Barry The Sprout wrote:Why did you reinstall the firmware? Kewa only did that as he reformatted his box. Something that you would not have needed to do. All you needed was some stubborn patience.

Okay... I'll see if I can get you out of the jam. If you reinstalled the firmware, then you are back to the original very long password. For that, the username was root. (Ah - I think this is where you went wrong)

Once you have logged in as root and installed the Old Codge patch, then your username and password become 3view.
Thanks Barry. It was just as you said and now I am back working. I now have 123 Channels (I think I had 137 before but I am not sure what is missing). I am going to leave well alone for the present. By the way I had to reinstall because it was in a loop with normal mode and I couldn't get it to start. Thanks again (and to kewa),

Sam

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:23 pm

samiam wrote:Thanks Barry. It was just as you said and now I am back working. I now have 123 Channels (I think I had 137 before but I am not sure what is missing). I am going to leave well alone for the present. Thanks again (and to kewa),

Sam
Excellent news. A bit of calm stubbornness is all that is required. Hopefully other people with the same problem will now see this. Rescan channels in Yellow Button (EPG) mode. Reboot from Telnet if it jams to avoid corruption of files.

This also means you can then leave the box to fill-up the EPG again. I find that works quickest if left on a BBC1 channel.

samiam

Post by samiam » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Too early with my post. Unplugged to sort out my aerial issue (as recommended) and now it just shows the 3view splash page twice before crashing. Knackered I think,

Sam.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:41 pm

samiam wrote:Too early with my post. Unplugged to sort out my aerial issue (as recommended) and now it just shows the 3view splash page twice before crashing. Knackered I think,

Sam.
Did you just yank the power lead out? Or use telnet to issue a poweroff command? You could have pulled the cable too quick while it was still updating the EPG and writing to the files.

When you say it shows the 3view splash screen twice, I assume this means you don't get to see the CodgeView screen?

I have to go see a client now, but when I get back I'll dig around my box and see if I can find some suggestions for you. One idea would be trying to get to Blue Button (Normal Codge) mode some how

Have you tried booting up without Ethernet or Aerial attached? Can you get in that way to see if you can push the Blue Button?