Freeview retune: 17 October

News and information as it becomes available.
samiam

Re: Freeview retune: 17 October

Post by samiam » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:01 pm

Barry The Sprout wrote:
samiam wrote:Too early with my post. Unplugged to sort out my aerial issue (as recommended) and now it just shows the 3view splash page twice before crashing. Knackered I think,

Sam.
Did you just yank the power lead out? Or use telnet to issue a poweroff command? You could have pulled the cable too quick while it was still updating the EPG and writing to the files.

When you say it shows the 3view splash screen twice, I assume this means you don't get to see the CodgeView screen?

I have to go see a client now, but when I get back I'll dig around my box and see if I can find some suggestions for you. One idea would be trying to get to Blue Button (Normal Codge) mode some how

Have you tried booting up without Ethernet or Aerial attached? Can you get in that way to see if you can push the Blue Button?
Started everything again with reinstall firmware, telnet to install patch and now in epg mode to get channels back. What happened before was that the patch was successful and it was working normally other than there was no signal for the hd channels. So I put into sleep mode and took the plug out (to avoid problems when I was adjusting the the aerial lead. Having done that I rebooted and it went into 3view (as normal) and then 3view again (ie it was if the patch was lost) and then it just kept crashing. So I couldn't telnet in as it the Box couldn't be found,

Sam.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Sam - I am now lost. Is your last post describing what you have tried a second time and are now working fine? Or are you just re-describing your same steps?
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

samiam

Post by samiam » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:59 pm

Barry The Sprout wrote:Sam - I am now lost. Is your last post describing what you have tried a second time and are now working fine? Or are you just re-describing your same steps?
I am lost now as I posted about 10 mins ago and it has disappeared! Here goes..I don't know what happened but after a second re-install of firmware (no choice) I re-installed old codge. Channel scan found 123 channels first go and they are all now in the right place (numbering wise). Updated EPG (needed 2 goes at that) and now it is all working again (for now?). Thanks to Barry and kewa,

The only thing I can think of is that when trying to fix an aerial cable problem I unplugged the Box to take the aerial out as recommended (?) That is when it wouldn't boot into Normal mode and then I had to do all the re-installing. How do others take the aerial out if necessary?

Sam.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Cool. The important bit there is - it is working now. :)

When I want to take the aerial out, I am paranoid enough to shut the box down fully. If patient - I will use telnet to login to the 3view box and I issue a poweroffcommand to shutdown the box fully.

If I am impatient, I check the box is doing nothing special and yank the powerlead from the box. Yanking the power lead always has the risk of corrupting the file system and\or database if something is happening as I yank the lead.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

Kev

Post by Kev » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:40 pm

I got a successful tune by going into Yellow Button (EPG mode). Maybe more by luck than anything, but as that mode booted up it didn't crash that time. I went into the System menu and did a retune from there. I did a full scan and replace.
Same here -- I do watch the progress bar and keep fingures crossed especially just as it reaches the end !!

samiam.
Not wanting to kill the tuner I also disconnect from the mains -- for information I am still running an attenuator as the box will not tune the HD channels without it. I have put this down to the signal being too strong on the main house aerial.
Previously I tuned HD channels by carting the box to the kitchen aerial.

Happy you are up and running again --- glad I don't get your problems --- yet
Regards.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Kev wrote:I do watch the progress bar and keep fingres crossed especially just as it reaches the end !!
You should never watch progress bars. They are made out of the same material as kettles and will slow down the more you watch them. :mrgreen: