purchased from the hut

News and information as it becomes available.
domvar

purchased from the hut

Post by domvar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:46 pm

For info I purchased my 3view box from the hut.com who have today agreed to give me a full refund (after I read them the sale of goods act) I just need to call them back to arrange a courier after xmas.

So if any one is fed up with all this and wants to go humax then I suggest they do like wise your covered up to 6 years after the initial sale.

Crucial

Re: purchased from the hut

Post by Crucial » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:29 pm

but is the Humax as good.? Does it do AC3, and BBCiplayer, and read from and external drive....if so Im off to John Lewis tomorrow.

domvar

Post by domvar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:35 pm

It does Iplayer not sure on the other two am looking into it.

This is what I said to thehut:-

RE: SALE OF GOODS ACT (1979)

I would Like to return the 3view PVR that I purchased on 29/08/2011 for a full refund.

I have sought advice from consumer direct / trading standards who have advised me of my legal rights as a consumer.

Under the sale of Goods act 1979 the retailer is liable for any claims made by them or the manufacturer.

I would like to return the box under my consumer rights (not a warranty claim) for a full refund on the grounds that it is “not as described”, “not fit for purpose” and “not of satisfactory quality”.

Such claims can be mad up-to 6 years after the initial purchase

I am not willing to accept a replacement or repair as the missing functionality will not be available on any 3view box.

My issues with the item are as follows:-

Your site’s listing states:-
• Facebook on television
Does not work no widget available for face book

• Twitter on television
Does not work

• Enjoy YouTube content in full screen on your television
You tube does not work with any of the currently available firmware including that supplied with the box

• Easily search through your photos and music on your PC and enjoy downloaded content on your television

This takes hours to set up and is slow and clunky when it chooses to function

• Search for movies to watch with 3view’s Video on Demand service

There is no such thing as 3views on demand service

• Email on television

Does not work without additional equipment

• Whether you need to chat online, share your files, order services or pay your bills – you can access it all using 3view’s television widgets.

The only widgets that work are news feed / football results

3view packaging states / carries logos for:-

• Freeview HD
In order that something is Freeview compliant the red button functions must be available they are not.

• Dolby / AC3

This box does not provide Dolby output or AC3 despite claims on the packaging that claim it does
• Facebook

Does not work

• Sky player (coming spring 2011)
Does not work and is not likely to be released in the future as 3view support seem to have vanished from the face of the planet.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:41 pm

Personally I would spend a bit of time on the Humax forums first. Dig back a bit and look for the customer interaction and see how bugs are dealt with. Humax are certainly the bigger brand name, but what is their support like? How often do they update? You have experience with 3View how things can go a bit pear shaped after a good start, so go check how Humax handles spec changes to things like iPlayer\YouTube\etc.

Nothing is ever perfect - but also remember that forums are usually home to the unhappy users as happy users are usually busy playing with their devices.

I know that my Dad has an older and fairly basic Humax PVR which he seems to be happy with. But that box is a "one trick pony" in that it only does the PVR job with no Internet Connection.

Also remember to check the newer Smart TVs that are now out there. Most of these have YouTube, iPlayer, Facebook, Twatter, EuroSport, etc built in to varying degrees.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

domvar

Post by domvar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:43 pm

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio- ... ?artc_pg=2

It does the lot extra £80 quid though

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:51 pm

domvar wrote:http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio- ... ?artc_pg=2

It does the lot extra £80 quid though
Don't trust reviewers. They post articles to get free hardware and page views. Remember the reviews for the 3View box? Many of the reviews are just reworded press releases and over optimistic. Read the comments and you can always learn more. Dig into the forums.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

gcpete

Post by gcpete » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:02 pm

If I were going to swap boxes it would be to digital stream. they seem to have been responsive, though the firmware upgrade process was/is a little tricky. Humax may as well be bust for all the help/support they seem to give there customers.

peter

digitl

Post by digitl » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:53 pm

My experience of Humax support from a couple of years ago was less than impressive with requests ignored and long waits for promised upgrades. And they're supposed to be the big boys.

You may wish to bear in mind that Project Canvas, aka YouView (http://www.youview.com/), are due to get their first box out in the near(ish) future.

Meanwhile, my 3view boxes are still recording what I ask of them.
Frank (aka Admin)

Crucial

Post by Crucial » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:09 pm

Interesting digtl, It seems they share an address with the BBC, which is reassuring.

I think I would be ok taking it back to John Lewis with a simular argument, 'Not fit for purpose' there customer care is good, and they did offer the 2 year warranty, problem is, Which will I get instead.?

My 3view does nearly all required, and it does not crash any where as much as it did. I was just holding out for that AC3 thingy, and then It would be complete for me.

There a lot of features which I don't use, and probably never use. I do have hope that what I need maybe will be available one day, but its a tall order to expect to find a person(s) who are going to be able to get the token turned on, (I know some guys out there a trying). so I have to start thinking of changing it for something that does.

I think 1 year is a fair time to wait, some have waited longer.

Or maybe you would swap the other 3view box you have that does have AC3 working with me, I can assure you, mine is full of lots Sooty and Doctor Who...oh and the wifes Midsummer Murders. :mrgreen:

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:05 am

Humax Freeview HD is cheaper now,had one for some time & no problems,iPlayer Youtube work fine,internet radio is under users control unlike on the 3view