purchased from the hut

News and information as it becomes available.
domvar

Re: purchased from the hut

Post by domvar » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:28 am

Well I have now had my full refund from the hut, It took them a while to get round to analysing the issues but I blame xmas for that and further delays where caused by me having closed the credit card i paid with.

However in the end the lack of facebook and skyplayer and surround sound was enough for them to concede that it was not as advertised or as described on the box.

The Humax has been a fine replacement up to now.

Dious

Post by Dious » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:37 am

Just out of curiosity, how long did you own the 3view for? And did TheHut refund the courier charges or did they pay for it to start with?

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:03 am

Dious wrote:Just out of curiosity, how long did you own the 3view for? And did TheHut refund the courier charges or did they pay for it to start with?

I may be wrong but this would be a "distant sale" so you shouldn't be out of pocket if there's a problem,check with trading standards

domvar

Post by domvar » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:55 am

They organised a courier to collect it at their expense and refunded the original purchase price of £169.99 inc p+p. I had purchased it in August.

larkim

Post by larkim » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Bob wrote:
Dious wrote:Just out of curiosity, how long did you own the 3view for? And did TheHut refund the courier charges or did they pay for it to start with?

I may be wrong but this would be a "distant sale" so you shouldn't be out of pocket if there's a problem,check with trading standards

The obligation to refund postage charges on distance selling returns isn't quite so clear cut. If the seller explicitly and in some durable form (apparently) sets ouf that return costs are at the buyer's expense, then the distance seller doesn't have to refund the postage costs. Some companies (e.g. Amazon) set themselves apart by taking a hit on the return postage charges, but many smaller companies don't (and can't afford to).

Matt
2 x 3view PVR, both on CodgeView. Winter Hill region.

digitl

Post by digitl » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:03 pm

It's my understanding that a retailer has to refund the cost of getting the goods to the consumer, but the consumer pays for the return of the goods to the retailer (though, as Matt says, companies such as Amazon pay for the return).
Frank (aka Admin)

domvar

Post by domvar » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:04 am

Only in a return of unwanted goods the retailer is responsible if the item is faulty or not fit for purpose.

Bob

Post by Bob » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:21 am

domvar wrote:Only in a return of unwanted goods the retailer is responsible if the item is faulty or not fit for purpose.

That's what I thought, I've never been out of pocket returning goods, some dealers on ebay try it on but I remind them I'm in the UK so our trading laws apply & they pay return post,otherwise I let ebay sort them out.

larkim

Post by larkim » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:03 am

An interesting subject! I think there are two different rights in play:-
  • Distance selling regulations - gives you the right to return unwanted goods (in most circumstances), including the original delivery costs, with a clearly defined timescale. Return costs, unless explicitly stated as not being refunded, are met by the retailer
  • Sale of Goods Act - gives consumers the right to expect / demand goods as fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality, depending on the goods up to 6 years of protection. I don't believe cost of returns is explicitly part of these rights, otherwise returning a faulty TV set to Argos would also "entitle" you to claim for petrol etc. However, if you ever ended up in court in relation to a SoGA claim a court may find that it is reasonable to award compensation for costs of returns etc. Your "right" to compensation should decrease over the period that you have owned the goods before they were faulty reflecting your satisfactory use of the item in question

Matt
2 x 3view PVR, both on CodgeView. Winter Hill region.