3View Orphans

News and information as it becomes available.
Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

3View Orphans

Post by Barry The Sprout » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:36 pm

So... looks like "Trouble at Mill" has knocked out the official forum. Potentially leaving lots of 3View Orphans.

Hopefully we can make a nice new family over here thanks to Digtl.

Though I am waiting for the horrendous pink backgrounds and unreadable text colours to be implemented so we can really feel "at home". :mrgreen:

There is already a good FAQ over here, so lets see what else we can do with this box. Keep the old beast alive Frankenstein style. :)
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

samiam

Re: 3View Orphans

Post by samiam » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:58 pm

What a shame (probably). Let's hope we can keep something going,

Sam.

digitl

Post by digitl » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:18 pm

Barry The Sprout wrote:Though I am waiting for the horrendous pink backgrounds and unreadable text colours to be implemented so we can really feel "at home". :mrgreen:
Anybody misbehaves and they will be!
Frank (aka Admin)

athomson

Post by athomson » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:40 am

Does anyone know the real state of affairs or are we still guessing? Definite news would be welcome, good or bad.

Andy

samiam

Post by samiam » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:03 pm

athomson wrote:Does anyone know the real state of affairs or are we still guessing? Definite news would be welcome, good or bad.

Andy
Plenty of speculation here,

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1600977

Sam.

samiam

Post by samiam » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Is iPlayer going to stop working eventually?

Also, those not updated by that last Beta, where can it be acccessed?

Sam

domvar

Post by domvar » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:30 pm

I have Emailed BBC watchdog and asked them to investigate.

I have also contacted thehut.co.uk and asked for a refund on the grounds that it is not fit for purpose.

I haven't decided I want to return it yet but if Iplayer were to stop working in the future I would.

oldcodge

Post by oldcodge » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:35 pm

samiam wrote:Is iPlayer going to stop working eventually?

Also, those not updated by that last Beta, where can it be acccessed?

Sam
Good points, there's a problem now with access to firmware. Although I'm sure some of us will have local copies of the beta firmwares we don't have any right to distribute them. Like all other rights, the right to distribute remains with the author of a work unless or until it is granted to a third party. 3view have never (to my knowledge) even mentioned licensing, even though they are (were) redistributing works licensed under the GPL.

Given that they apparently didn't even bother to fulfil their obligations with regard to the GPL works they used and distributed for their own commercial purposes, I have little confidence that they will do the things necessary to grant redistribution rights for their firmware[s] to anyone else.

If you don't have a copy of the firmware and it is no longer available from 3view (does anyone know if the link to it is still working?) then it may now be impossible for anyone else to legitimately provide it to you.

-codge

domvar

Post by domvar » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:54 pm

Think I still have the file can any one remember the file name ?

domvar

Post by domvar » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:56 pm

Have also contacted their local trading standards dept to advise them of the company name change shenanigans