3View Orphans

News and information as it becomes available.
samiam

Re: 3View Orphans

Post by samiam » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:00 pm

I don't known whether to feel cross or foolish. Not because they may have ceased trading (which may not be their fault of course) but because they haven't got the decency to update anybody. They have all our email addresses and have told us when their is new beta/firmware. They won an award not 2 months ago after all!! Somebody closed the Forum down. It is not just a broken link it needs a password which probably means there isn't one. There needs to be a debate on the consequences for all of us (bit dramatic perhaps) but I need to know whether I need to start saving for a new (Humax?) Box when the 3View's functions stop working. :cry:

Sam.

samiam

Post by samiam » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:02 pm

I have still got the file,

Sam.

digitl

Post by digitl » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:06 pm

domvar wrote:Think I still have the file can any one remember the file name ?
simply8654t2_trunk_37956-1_201108211726.bin

Please, don't post it on here! I'm a little concerned about the costs of hosting this little venture and need to see how it pans out.
Frank (aka Admin)

domvar

Post by domvar » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:57 pm

ok, I do have it if any one requires it please pm me and I'll sort something out

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:47 pm

We will need to use something like MediaFire, SendSpace or one of those file hosting sites for firmware sized files. They can be annoying with the adverts and waiting, but a 200MB file would be expensive to host elsewhere. Would eat bandwidth quotas up fast.

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the actual URL it used to be sitting on at Simple Global TV? It could be it is still available over there... and if it is, then that may get round licensing issues.

And IMHO - I am not surprised about the lack of feedback from the company owners. When one is trying to rescue a company, it is hard to talk to the people who bought products or even the investors. There is a juggle of acting like a going concern while also having to lay people off and juggle payments. This would have personally hit both of them pretty hard. And I doubt any of them are happy about disappointing people. I have been in one of those companies when it happens, and it is never nice to let people down - staff or customers. Especially when you start laying off the staff who have been so loyal to you.

As to the "multiple company names" - that is pretty standard operation. More for accounting and tax reasons than anything else. Business law is a strange beast.

The positive side is, we have a good box that is working well. The core recording side works well. Features like iPlayer have benefited from the upgrades to the latest version from the Beeb so should be good for a few generations yet (unlike some main brand TV sets who don't support older models).

As to the "wait for Sky Player"... I fear that wait will be a long one. :D Though hopefully we can still get some new features sorted
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:00 pm

Nice old Google search.

http://www.simplyglobaltv.com/upgrades/ ... 211726.bin

Beta Firmware download link.

The rest of the firmware release post:

This build has the fix to reflect the youtube API change.

Known issue:

We have added a new menu item which has effected the 'series option' box - this is not coming up correctly in this version so we will build a 3795.2 asap.
Press OK whilst viewing > select a programme > press OK > you should see the series options box but its not coming up. We've added a change to this menu so we know what's wrong - we'll rebuild asap.

http://www.simplyglobaltv.com/upgrades/ ... 211726.bin

Release Notes

----------------------

This release addresses the YouTube issue as well as two of the causes of duplicate recordings.

YouTube changed the way URL references to content were returned. The parsing logic has been changed to accommodate this.

There are known causes of duplicate recordings:

1. User sees program in EPG, status is "not recording" because status has not been updated yet. User selects program & records series. This happens when event data is still coming in, so series jobs have not yet been recomputed. (bug 5659)

2. Program is recorded properly, but is scheduled to record again due to EPG update with or without reboot. This happens because the job is not reallydeleted after it has completed. (bug 5736)

3. User creates recording conflict, and chooses to time-shift the program. User the selects the program, and chooses the “Record This Showing Too”option. This allows other alternatives, and chooses the same alternative that is already being recorded. (bug 5737)

Bugs 5659 and 5737 are fixed in this release. The improvements include:

1. Before showing a recording prompt, the scheduled recordings are checked if they may involve the program. If program data is new, this should prevent the creation of multiple series/single recordings for the same series/episode.

2. Checks scheduled recordings at least once a minute while EPG updates are arriving. Before, the checks could be delayed indefinitely if new EPG datacontinues to arrive.

3. Add -removeDuplicateSeries option to remove duplicate scheduled series recordings. 3view should consider including this in their next build, so that customers with existing duplicate series recordings can have their databases fixed.

4. When you choose "Record This Showing Also" (wording changed), it will record that instance only. This disallows alternatives, so a conflict dialog is displayed and the user must cancel one of the conflicting recordings.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

Wilf

Re: 3View Forum

Post by Wilf » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:08 pm

Just a quick linkback to try to get Google to notice this forum:

3view forum(unofficial)

p.s. if anyone has a blog or website they don't mind linking from, a short descriptive paragraph, incorporating a link to this forum with "3view forum" in the link text will help gather up the orphans by boosting the Google search hits for this forum.

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:08 pm

samiam wrote:Is iPlayer going to stop working eventually?

Also, those not updated by that last Beta, where can it be acccessed?

Sam
I would think all internet access will stop,iplayer,Internet radio,etc if the company has gone pear shaped,somewhere along the line someone has paid the fees

Wilf

Post by Wilf » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:01 pm

I believe the iPlayer, YouTube and ShoutCast functionality use direct connections from our boxes to the respective services/APIs - hence they couldn't get around the YouTube API changes without a firmware update.

It's possible, but I don't think feasible that they'd be streaming all media via a 3view proxy server - it would be too costly, and vulnerable as a single point of failure given the bandwidth involved.

I expect ShoutCast will last a very long time (it's a widely used standard, originally for Winamp in the late 90's - it's barely changed since), but iPlayer and YouTube may get shafted if the APIs for the services change.

iPlayer's video streams are coming directly from the beeb, but I don't know where the listing web page (what we see in the updated section is a web page displayed by the Opera web browser) "lives" - it may be constructed on the box (javascript in a local html page calling BBC APIs to get lists, images and addresses for the video streams ), on a 3view server (could be bad news), or simply hosted at the beeb.
The second option would mean should the hosting go down, we'd loose the iPlayer listings, so in effect we'd loose iPlayer.

From memory, the web browsing feature drops you onto a 3view hosted portal page, with no ability to enter a web address without it. We may well loose that.

I don't know what controls which IP channels show in the TV guide, but I'd guess it is/was at least change by 3view - be interesting to know the mechanisms there in case other streams can be added at a later date.

In short, we might be alright, but a bit of insider knowledge would go a long way here - as the above is just educated guesswork.

p.s. I can still log in to https://www.simplyglobaltv.com/ with my 3view login. it's still just a blank page, as it always was, but that site is still active.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:38 pm

simplyglobaltv.com is registered until 2014. So should stay around for a while. Assuming the bills are paid.

The links should be testable via a bit of network sniffing and checking of router logs. I'll have a nose at this later.

My box does seem to maintain a constant conenction to avtrex, but that may have been logging they were doing back in August. Can be easily blocked for testing.
Lots of links bickering with Google servers. Never stops talking there.
Starting up iPlayer gives a link to a77.109.169-168.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com which I assume is an iPlayer mirror (bizarrely in Switzerland)

I would expect what you are seeing with the iPlayer is all BBC based as many other STBs need the same information.

Much of the "portal" stuff should be spoofable.

It is handy that the iPlayer and YouTube updates have just happened, so that should leave us good for a while.

As the box is DLNA, the IP Streams can be fed in from other sources. See the WMS stuff that TrevT found as an example.

We have a lot to learn - but nothing is impossible. It just may take some time. :)