New Owner Advice Wanted

News and information as it becomes available.
fazzy

New Owner Advice Wanted

Post by fazzy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:00 pm

Looking for a bit of advice..
I have just purchased & received TODAY.. My 3View box..
I had no idea what was going on and only found out after trying to get the full user manual..
Have i made a big mistake? Although i did buy at a knock down price of £150..
I selected this box for a number of reasons:-
I can access my Twonky Media Server
I can access the recorded media via the network
It will transcode output dolby digital 5.1 that my amp will decode
It will decode AC3 audio from my Divx movies
plus the obvious HD PVR functionality...

I've only just opened the box, will it do all the above, would i be better cutting my losses & getting my money back via distance selling act..
Will the updates available via the links give me / fix the above functionality..

Thanks in advance

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Re: New Owner Advice Wanted

Post by Barry The Sprout » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:12 pm

okay... same reply as in the other thread plus some added to the end:

First point - the AC3 side to 5.1 is a "no go" at the moment. Dolby being sulky about "security" at the moment. So stereo only, and any 5.1 files just put out silence. There is still some hope on this though, both official and unofficial. (I don't know about HD TV broadcasts as I am on the South Coast and won't see HD channels until March due to the French)

The rest of your points should still work. Grab the latest beta firmware http://www.simplyglobaltv.com/upgrades/ ... 211726.bin and install it from a USB Flash Drive. That is not so much "beta" as the last release with various bugs fixed. Nothing nasty hidden in it. PVR is great and reliable. Network access to and from the box works well. (And your 5.1 recordings can be played back on another DLNA device okay)

For £150 it is a bargain. Even if there are some advertised features that are missing. (And you have Trading Standards Act to get you refunds much later on if you need it).

Oh - and Welcome to the Community

You will find that some people are upset at having spent £300 on a box. Hopefully that discussion can be kept in the other threads. You are like me, we spent £150 to get a box of tricks. The networking side works well. Just it is a pain that AC3 encoded 5.1 stuff will not playback.

I have never had a fault with my recordings. That side of the box is solid and reliable. Which is the important part. It is all the "extras" that have suffered to different extents. Though, as you will read elsewhere, 3View CE Ltd are not dead. Just having financial problems. There is still some chance they will return. And if not, there is also a lot of hope with the unofficial development of this box that some of us are looking into. (Patience - more details will follow on this as and when we have news)

Oh - and an important fact to be aware of. Don't pull the aerial lead out while the box is powered up. Some people have killed their tuners by doing that. The Sony Tuners on board are fussy little beasts. :)
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

mb1

Post by mb1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:40 pm

fazzy wrote:Have i made a big mistake? Although i did buy at a knock down price of £150..

No, some of us paid £299!
fazzy wrote:I can access my Twonky Media Server

Yes, DLNA is on the whole good.
fazzy wrote:I can access the recorded media via the network

Yes. I can play it on my Joggler and Samsung SGS2 flawlessly.
fazzy wrote:It will decode AC3 audio from my Divx movies

No. BIggest pain in the arse for me currently.
fazzy wrote:plus the obvious HD PVR functionality...

Rock solid PVR functionality. It's pretty much never missed a critical recording in the 18 months-ish I've had it.
fazzy wrote:Will the updates available via the links give me / fix the above functionality..

Get the last beta they released. Despite being a beta, it's very good.

fazzy

Post by fazzy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:06 pm

Barry, Thanks again for the very informative response.
I'm in the process of applying the update.
I bought the 3View to replace my outdated Pinnacle Showcenter & Update my Topfield PVR with just one box.
I do feel for the people who payed top price, and as you've stated, i am swaying towards the "i've got a bargain"
The specs ticked all the boxes, just a shame that they haven't been fulfilled.

Yes, mb1.. i understand your feeling regards £300, it was only the lack of funds earlier in the year that didn't put me in the same boat.
Thanks for your comments also..

digitl

Post by digitl » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:30 pm

@fazzy
As a new user, you might want to have a look at the Hints and Tips page at www.3viewpvr.info to get yourself up to speed a little faster.
Frank (aka Admin)