Section 75 refunds

News and information as it becomes available.
mb1

Re: Section 75 refunds

Post by mb1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:26 pm

JG3view wrote:From moneysavingexpert site
"There have also been recent cases where people buying goods on Amazon through other suppliers, have been turned down for Section 75 claims by credit card companies. Much opinion is these SHOULD be covered by section 75, but it may be a fight to make it happen."
I am in this position anyone any experience of this?
I'm not in this position, but the ombudsman will intervene if your credit card company declines you.

JG3view

Post by JG3view » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:36 pm

1 * 3view PVR Codgeview Craigkelly Transmitter Fife Scotland

digitl

Post by digitl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:32 pm

In general, you must have paid the merchant from whom you bought the item direct and not through a third party. That's why PayPal, Amazon Marketplace and some travel agent transactions can fail Section 75.

Whatever the outcome of your Section 75 claim, take it to FOS. It costs you nothing, it costs the merchant or credit card company £500 for FOS to investigate.

If it helps, ring FOS for advice first. It's a free phone call.
Frank (aka Admin)

digitl

Post by digitl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:34 pm

Barry The Sprout wrote:
ThunderChicken wrote:Is there any time limit on this? I got one of the early onesin September 2010.
Regards
TheChicken
They were sold with a two year warranty, but kit like this should last way beyond that and you would still be within rights to claim years later for fundamental faults like this.
Sale of Goods Act says up to six years, though it won't apply to ice cream if it melts too soon!
Frank (aka Admin)

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:58 am

digitl wrote:
Bob wrote:I've said elsewhere buyers may have a problem getting a refund if they've applied any updates alterations etc to the software,somewhere it will say upgrades are at owners risk,but good luck anyway,my box is in the shed now!
It won't be a problem in terms of a Section 75. The firmware upgrades were supplied and recommended by 3view and, in any case, the card issuer (the best bet for a refund) won't be aware. Plus, of course, there are 'features' that were never implemented and so it wasn't 'as described'.
I didn't mean "official" upgrades but any "dabbling" around with the software etc

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Bob wrote:
digitl wrote:
Bob wrote:I've said elsewhere buyers may have a problem getting a refund if they've applied any updates alterations etc to the software,somewhere it will say upgrades are at owners risk,but good luck anyway,my box is in the shed now!
It won't be a problem in terms of a Section 75. The firmware upgrades were supplied and recommended by 3view and, in any case, the card issuer (the best bet for a refund) won't be aware. Plus, of course, there are 'features' that were never implemented and so it wasn't 'as described'.
I didn't mean "official" upgrades but any "dabbling" around with the software etc
If you read my post, I did not say anything about hacked boxes, but even there these can still be wiped clean with a format via recovery console and the normal firmware reinstalled. Also note that a very small number of people had hacked their boxes. So this is not really relevant.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

samiam

Post by samiam » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:17 pm

How is me saying it has gone wrong proof that it has?

Sam.

Priz

Post by Priz » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:09 pm

samiam wrote:How is me saying it has gone wrong proof that it has?
Describe the lock up issue, fail to tell them about the [PVR] work around. They can then test it themselves when they get it back. You can also point out that half the information on the box is now also inaccurate (no Sky Player, no widgets, ...). You could even point them at this forum as proof that there is a known issue effecting this box.

Priz

samiam

Post by samiam » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Priz wrote:
samiam wrote:How is me saying it has gone wrong proof that it has?
Describe the lock up issue, fail to tell them about the [PVR] work around. They can then test it themselves when they get it back. You can also point out that half the information on the box is now also inaccurate (no Sky Player, no widgets, ...). You could even point them at this forum as proof that there is a known issue effecting this box.

Priz
Thanks Priz,

Sam.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:11 pm

And don't forget the lack of AC3 support so no surround sound from the HD channels. And no surround sound when you attempt to playback movies on it over the network. (In fact, no sound at all appears for anything which is trying to use more than two speakers)
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time