Section 75 refunds

News and information as it becomes available.
samiam

Re: Section 75 refunds

Post by samiam » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Ddave wrote:I seem to recall that 3View increased the warranty from 12 - 24 months if you registered your box, therefore you may still be covered? (I purchased by Debit card so was stuffed until Codge helped us all out)
DDave
I bought this 2 years ago so the warranty has run out. Anyway I don't need a refund now thanks to Codge :D

Sam.

Priz

Post by Priz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:31 pm

I have just managed to get 2 x refunds out of Amazon for the 2 "fire sale" boxes that I bought in December of last year. Initially they said I should contact the vendor/manufacturer .... then when they tried they told me that they would refund both boxes in full and pursue 3view on my behalf. I think the unobtainable tone when they called the 3view support number was all they needed to hear.

I wasn't looking forward to going down the credit card route - A* rating for Amazon, first rate customer service. Good luck with your claim.

Priz

mb1

Post by mb1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:58 pm

I don't understand why people are putting up with this crap with patches etc when Section 75 and maybe a further email to the ombudsman is all you need. That's what the law is there for! We bought a lemon.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:36 pm

mb1 wrote:I don't understand why people are putting up with this crap with patches etc when Section 75 and maybe a further email to the ombudsman is all you need. That's what the law is there for! We bought a lemon.
Everyone got their kit from different sources. And everyone has different ideas of how they want to handle things.

Those with official purchases from the only three official sellers of Amazon and John Lewis seem to have the easiest solution. I assume Play.com is just as simple.

Other people are happy to chase their credit card companies.

But do remember that some of us got boxes half price. Or from Ebay. As a £150 half price box I am happy to hack my box. In fact, I get a perverse enjoyment out of hacking my box. I'm learning a lot in the process. I'd rather have the mad beast I know than starting again with a bigger layout of cash on a new device. (But then, TV is not important to me. Comically don't watch that much of it. So missing the odd recording is not life or death to me. I don't have a wife who will shout at me for missing Eastenders)

True, I have been tempted by the thought of seeing this Amazon post to cash in my original box for its £150 and then just run with the boxes I have grabbed from EBay for silly money. But I doubt I'll follow that through.

It's all about choice. :) Everyone is different with different needs and expectations. :)

@mb1: a cheeky question maybe, but where did your box come from? One of the official three resellers? Or an alternate source? Just curious why you are directly into the CC route. (I'd be amazed if any CC company can get out of this one as this box is clearly a duffer in so many ways unless you are happy to hack it)
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

mb1

Post by mb1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Barry The Sprout wrote:@mb1: a cheeky question maybe, but where did your box come from? One of the official three resellers? Or an alternate source? Just curious why you are directly into the CC route. (I'd be amazed if any CC company can get out of this one as this box is clearly a duffer in so many ways unless you are happy to hack it)
Not cheeky at all. I bought mine directly from 3view for £299, then reduced to £279/£275 with the promise of Homeplugs for being patient with my order. They never arrived of course, until I spent nearly a year of chasing Donovan. So you can see why at that amount of money I'm in the process of getting my money back. But fair play if you've got it for a ridiculous price from eBay. I'd do the same with my Tesco Smartbox.

I've never ever invoked a Section 75, but I am very hopeful that my credit card company will pay up. It's even more likely with a company in liquidation and a product that's clearly not fit for purpose.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:39 pm

I did think a few of these boxes were direct from 3View. So you are in a classic case of Section 75 being your weapon of choice as there is no other option. Which means you are in a better case than most people with credit cards - you are actually going to get something back from all those years of paying that small percentage for the insurance on all those years. :)

Hope it all comes out well for you. :)
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

mb1

Post by mb1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:24 pm

Barry The Sprout wrote:Hope it all comes out well for you. :)
Thank you, and for all your hard work with helping me get something out of it (my Recordings at least!). Will let you know the outcome.

awaymag

Post by awaymag » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:21 pm

Guys,
I've just got a £300 refund from play.com. I had the original invoice that came with box and althought it was over 2 years ago. I explained that this was my second box after the 1st died, 4 months after I received it. I then said I activated the 2 year warranty in the replacement box and so I should still be covered by the warranty. As 3view are no more I said I was claiming from them and also for good measure on section 75 - even though I paid by debit card. The whole thing took only a week from me contacting them, sending back the box and the refund in the account. Fair play to play.com - they were great throughout.
AM

ThunderChicken

Post by ThunderChicken » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:15 pm

The stability of my box has got worse to the point I think I might try a 'section 75' and see what happens.
The 3View has all the features I want, but I only have about 25% chance that it will be running when I turn the TV on.
Has anyone tried/recommended any alternatives?
T'Chicken

mb1

Post by mb1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:25 pm

ThunderChicken wrote:The stability of my box has got worse to the point I think I might try a 'section 75' and see what happens.
The 3View has all the features I want, but I only have about 25% chance that it will be running when I turn the TV on.
Has anyone tried/recommended any alternatives?
T'Chicken
The Technika 8320HD sold by Tesco via eBay for £49.99 recently was what I bought whilst waiting for Section 75 to come to fruition (still waiting, but just know I'll get a refund) or keep an eye on another bust UK PVR manufacturer, TVOnics DTR-Z500HD, which is pretty good:
http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/produc ... 500hd.aspx

This is of particular interest, because they'll be moving it to the open source XBMC at some point very soon.
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/10/22/p ... _xbmc_box/

If you want you could also get a Raspberry Pi, which now has PVR capabilities if you additionally purchase a single-tuner non-HD USB Freeview adaptor and an external hard disk. http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 35&t=18090

But I think i'll build my own PVR once the Technika packs up, as there's been nothing on the market which I've been happy with.